Saturday, June 23, 2012



The Journey Travelled for Good Music

The Feeling You CAN'T Get from buying online


Hey everyone. I know it's been two months since my last post. Part 3 of the Scruples for Samples posting has been scrapped for now. I will be moving on to other topics. Thanks to all who've been checking out the blog since my last post.

Now, let's move onto the next topic...


I am writing this post right now with Del the Funky Homosapien's Attractive Sin album playing in the background (produced by Parallel Thought). It was just released this week, and what I had to go through to get it was annoying. Nevertheless, the ordeal made the purchase so much more rewarding.

First, some info about myself. I am the kind of person whom, if I really like an artist, I would much rather buy the physical copy of the album than to just simply download it on iTunes, or order it online. Unless I can hold the music in my hand, I don't feel as though I actually own the music. When I hold an iPod, I can't hold the album itself; only a hub for mP3 data (and all the other stuff you can hold on an iPod these days).

Now for a quick rundown of what happened:
Del's album was released on Tuesday, and as a huge Del fan, I made sure to get out to the music stores on that same day. I get to the first store, and they were already sold out(!!!) I then called a different store, who said that it was available at another one of their locations. I called the other location, and they claimed to have the cd, so I gave them my name and number so they could hold it for me.
I got there, only to find that they made a mistake; the cd was actually at their THIRD location, who would have to transfer it to the location I was at.
After waiting a day longer than I was told, I was finally able to pick it up from the second location.

The funny thing is: even after that frustrating experience, I would still prefer to take the journey to go buy a physical copy than to order the physical copy on amazon, or download it digitally.

Why?

A lot of the music I purchase is hard to find. There has always been something that I enjoyed about that; the feeling that I'm going after something rare; something precious. This doesn't go to say that an album will be good just because it's rare, but a lot of my favorite music tends to be hard to find anyway. I take every aspect of purchasing music seriously, from finding where it is, to actually going to retrieve it. Music has always been a deep passion of mine, and to take an actual excursion to find good music helps me fuel/maintain that passion. It makes me feel more like I earned it.

Obviously, ordering online will always be faster, but let's face it. The Holy Grail wasn't ordered on Amazon. It was sought after, and only found after overcoming hardships and obstacles. This week, Del and Parallel Thought's Attractive Sin was my Holy Grail.

Now onto the album itself. Del's conversational, and sometimes humorous lyrics sound great over Parallel Thought's production. In many cases, it feels more like he's speaking to you rather than rapping. This is part of what makes Del's style so unique. There are lots of jazz samples, some of them orchestral, all of them uplifting; and it wouldn't be Del album without any touches of funk.

Wanna see what I'm talking about? Listen to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spzEbio3XGA
Shouts to Del for all the years of great music!

No comments:

Post a Comment